Mind It! This is a No Brainer
It is a widely known fact that though the adult human brain weighs on average just about 2% of the total body weight, it consumes nearly 20-25% of the blood's oxygen we well as the body's nutrients. And so it is vital not just for our physical well being but also our mental health that we eat the best brain foods, in the right amounts and at the right time.
For good brain health, it needs regular amounts of glucose, which it pulls from the blood, which in turn is processed from the sugars and carbohydrates that we consume. That's why a sweetened beverage is known to give a short term boost to memory and recall as well as other mental abilities like critical thinking. But that can lead to other challenges like diabetes.
So what's the Prakratik way to a continuous Brain Boost?
1. The Vital Few
• First and foremost is a natural and balanced diet that has essential nutrients including Magnesium, Omega-3 (especially DHA), Vitamin A, D, E as well as Vitamin B6 (Folic Acid), B9 and B12.
• Vitamin A is for learning, the Bs are for memory, D is to starve off depression, E has anti-oxidant properties which reduce age related cognitive decline, and DHA for brain development, especially in children under 2 years of age.
• Of course there are other nutritional requirements and it is important to note that the actual need will vary from person to person and also change as per season and activity, and it is thus essential to take expert advise and formulate a diet plan.
• And though it is easy and convenient to pop brain supplements, it is best to go with them only when asked to do so. There are enough super foods for the brain available for all the brain power that you need.
2. Breakfast Rules Even Here
• Breaking your night long fast is extremely important each morning. There are numerous studies that connect performance improvement in memory retention as well concentration with a regular and nutritious breakfast.
• Go for high dietary fiber whole grains, fruits and dairy products but avoid overeating as that can have an inverse effect.
3. Super Brain Foods For Super Brain Powers
• Nuts and Seeds are a rich source of Vitamin E.
• Dark Chocolate too is a powerful antioxidant and has caffeine which is a perk me up.
• Avocados have the good fats (monounsaturated), which help with blood flow.
• Whole Grains, including from popcorn, is packed with dietary fiber as well as vitamin E.
• Blueberries are found to have excellent anti-oxidant abilities and are known to reduce age induced disorders like Alzheimer by improving learning and muscle functioning.
In addition to the above it is important to
• Get 6-7 hours of good sleep
• Exercise physically and mentally, Yoga is especially beneficial
• Manage stress
• Drink 6-8 glasses of water
Our brain is so powerful that it can define comprehension. But at the same time it is fragile and needs to be looked after on a daily basis for it to function at optimum. The investment in your brain's good health will give you a return that will be many times your input. So this is truly one no brainer, Brain Wave.